READING CAN MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL

Reading can enhance your life. Studies show that the most successful people are the ones who read. We can learn a lot by picking up a magazine, a book, or a newspaper. I think it's great to be able to talk to others about what you read, too. Reading promotes conversation, intelligence, and knowledge. So, what are you waiting for?

I think everyone has a story to tell, and we should. For many years, I got away from writing fiction, but I have had a great time writing my first novel as an adult. Changing real-life situations into fiction helps heal the heart.

What can I say about Life? Mine has been tough at times, but I'm grateful that God has given me mercy, grace, and love. I love my life and the family I've been blessed with.

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Real Love and Valentine's Day



I love you, Mom. You won’t be my last Valentine, but you will always be my first.

Valentine’s Day.

You either love it, or you hate it.

Growing up, I was never the girl with a boyfriend on Valentine’s Day. In fact, the first year I had a boyfriend on Valentine’s Day, I was 18. And that isn’t a good example.

The first year Jim and I were married, 1992, Valentine’s Day was a DISASTER.

There have been good ones thrown in there every now and then, though. And I have met friends with birthdays on V-Day, so I think of them and hope they have a great birthday/Valentine’s Day.

However, for those of us who can’t afford the gifts of jewelry, fine dining, $100/dozen roses, and overpriced chocolate gifts, we do the best with what we have. We make beautiful dinners at home with our kids and spouses, we laugh and watch movies together, knowing these days won’t last forever.

Now I’m not saying that those who give expensive gifts don’t do these things. What I am saying is this: I’m glad my love language is not receiving gifts because if it was, I would feel very unloved. And it wouldn’t be because my husband wouldn’t buy me gifts because he would if we could afford it. But we can’t, and we know it.

I don’t feel unloved at all.

My love language is acts of service. A great show of love to me is my husband making dinner, changing my bandages over this last couple of weeks, and praying over me.

While I think those who receive gifts are not bragging or trying to hurt anyone by talking about their gifts and showing pictures on Facebook or other social media, I think about those who don’t have a significant other, or those who are single parents, or those who are heartbroken. For those people, V-Day can just be a reminder of what has never been found, or what has been lost.

In all honesty, people should show their love more than one day a year anyway! That’s what real love is. It isn’t a part in a play; it’s REAL LIFE.

When Isaac hugged me last night before bed, we were joking around, and I said, “Okay, repeat after me.”

Mom… You won’t be my last Valentine, but you’ll always be my first.

He laughed. But then he said it.

And he smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment