READING CAN MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL

Reading can enhance your life. Studies show that the most successful people are the ones who read. We can learn a lot by picking up a magazine, a book, or a newspaper. I think it's great to be able to talk to others about what you read, too. Reading promotes conversation, intelligence, and knowledge. So, what are you waiting for?

I think everyone has a story to tell, and we should. For many years, I got away from writing fiction, but I have had a great time writing my first novel as an adult. Changing real-life situations into fiction helps heal the heart.

What can I say about Life? Mine has been tough at times, but I'm grateful that God has given me mercy, grace, and love. I love my life and the family I've been blessed with.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Is Money More Important Than Horses... and People?





 



(Picture from JKS Quarter Horses, Sally Ahlerich Bannon,  https://www.facebook.com/jksquarterhorses) 



I just heard a news story which was very upsetting. I usually don’t make it a point to write about news stories on my blog, but in this case, I’ll make an exception.

It was a story about Merriwood Ranch, which is located in the DFW area. Opened in 1956, the camp has made a difference in the lives of many, many young people over the years by teaching horsemanship. You can check them out at http://merriwoodranch.com/index.htm. They give lessons and birthday parties and Scout badge work. While I have never visited this ranch, I appreciate what they’ve done in helping children.

And they are closing.

This property is located between two housing areas. I heard the City of Garland has opted to build 42 homes instead of allowing the ranch to continue operating in its present location. Does this mean that the tax income is more important than horses and children? Say they receive $3,000 (average) for 42 homes… that equals only $126,000/year. Is that worth what the DFW area will be losing?

Apparently, many people, including young people, attended the meeting. According to CBS11 news, there were persuasive speeches given to the council to keep the ranch open, but to no avail.

In my own research, looking at the website www.realtor.com, there are more than 600 houses for sale as of today in Garland. My question is: why is there such a need to build more houses when there so many available?

We all know what we’ve heard about having and taking care of pets having such a benefit to our lives. Well, maybe you haven’t heard! Pets can actually help decrease your blood pressure and reduce anxiety (http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/features/health-benefits-of-pets). They can also cause you to think of someone other than you. Loving pets is good for the soul!

And according to http://www.equestrianendeavors.com/benefits.html, riding horses is very beneficial to children, also. It helps them spiritually, emotionally, physically, and intellectually. It helps develop balance and coordination. And according to this website, horsemanship helps “riders learn to take responsibility for their own actions.” And the state of the world is such that we all could use some help for our young people, and even our young adults. Maybe even ourselves.

Merriwood Ranch has been working for over 50 years. Maybe they will find another location. Maybe they won’t.

I think it’s just sad when money becomes more important than people.

(If that isn’t the message that government would like to send its citizens, maybe they should let them know.)

Websites:







No comments:

Post a Comment