READING CAN MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL

Reading can enhance your life. Studies show that the most successful people are the ones who read. We can learn a lot by picking up a magazine, a book, or a newspaper. I think it's great to be able to talk to others about what you read, too. Reading promotes conversation, intelligence, and knowledge. So, what are you waiting for?

I think everyone has a story to tell, and we should. For many years, I got away from writing fiction, but I have had a great time writing my first novel as an adult. Changing real-life situations into fiction helps heal the heart.

What can I say about Life? Mine has been tough at times, but I'm grateful that God has given me mercy, grace, and love. I love my life and the family I've been blessed with.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Say WHAT?



My dad told me something when I was a teenaged girl. “Don’t ever loan, or give money to ANY boy.”

And I can still hear the words that echoed through my brain. “Whatever, Dad!”

I gave a boy money. Furthermore, I paid to support a boy for several years while he drank and hurled insults at me… in fact, he almost killed me with his tantrums and rage.

I wish I never would have given him money.

There have been things that my parents said to me that I have always vowed to never, ever, ever (!) say to my kids. Ever. But I find myself thinking them. And some things come flying out of my mouth before I can stop them.

Get my point?

It’s more than frustrating!

My oldest son is 18 years old now, soon to be 19. He’s thinking about moving out with a guy he’s known for less than 2 months… a guy who can’t keep a job and has had over 4 jobs in this time period. A guy who has accepted money offered from my sweet 18 year-old young man because he felt sorry for what the guy was going through. A guy who is planning on moving into an apartment with his girlfriend and wants my son to be the third person… moving my son over 20 miles from his work, and he doesn’t have a car.

Please don’t get me wrong. I am a very compassionate person, but I have also been through a lot in my life because I am a compassionate person. I have been homeless for a short period and had to rely on the kindness of a friend. All because I thought it most important to stay with a man who beat me up whenever he felt like it. All because I didn’t want to be wrong.

I truly do believe God has great plans for my kids, and Jim and I have been very honest about the mistakes we have made. We hoped that they would see value in learning from our lapses in judgment and wouldn’t do the same thing. We hope to impart wisdom to them and want them to know that God promises to give wisdom to anyone who asks without finding fault (James 1:5-8).

Being a parent is so hard! Letting go is excruciating when you believe that your child isn’t ready for the world that awaits them.

And it’s heartbreaking when they aren’t hearing you.

I keep praying that God will guide his steps.

And I’m praying for myself that I won’t say anything that will damage our relationship as I’m learning to let him grow up and find his way. I want him to be able to make wise decisions, and I guess if he isn’t able to ever make those decisions, how will he learn?

I sure do love him and don’t want him to get hurt.

That is just unrealistic, but I wish it wasn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment