READING CAN MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL

Reading can enhance your life. Studies show that the most successful people are the ones who read. We can learn a lot by picking up a magazine, a book, or a newspaper. I think it's great to be able to talk to others about what you read, too. Reading promotes conversation, intelligence, and knowledge. So, what are you waiting for?

I think everyone has a story to tell, and we should. For many years, I got away from writing fiction, but I have had a great time writing my first novel as an adult. Changing real-life situations into fiction helps heal the heart.

What can I say about Life? Mine has been tough at times, but I'm grateful that God has given me mercy, grace, and love. I love my life and the family I've been blessed with.

Monday, September 2, 2013

Samples of Sunscreen and the Flexible Spending Account



Every September 1st, our flexible spending account starts again. And we usually have used at least half of it by December.

In keeping with true Hammer tradition, we used some of our flex money on September 1st. I’m not sure if this is the earliest we’ve used it, but well…

Jesse and Isaac went swimming with their neighbor friend, and the only sunscreen I had was in little sample packages. I gave them a few to take with them. Isaac returned home before Jesse did, and it didn’t occur to me to make sure they threw the packages away.

So, when Jesse got home, I asked him. He said, “Uh, no…” So I told him to go back over and make sure the trash was thrown away. He left and returned about 15 minutes later holding his arm.

Apparently, in an effort to avoid walking down the street and around the corner, Jesse tried to take a “short cut,” and climbed a six-foot wooden fence. When he got to the top of the fence, he fell on his arm. He still went to his friend’s house, and his mom brought him home.

I looked at it, and it looked a little swollen, but not too bad. We decided to have Jim take him to a children’s Urgent Care facility. Their last patient is seen at 8:00 p.m., and they arrived at 7:40. The small bone has only a hairline fracture, but the large bone was really broken, and both above his wrist. We were thankful it wasn’t his right arm! They put on a temporary cast, and sent him home with a very cool sling. Last time one of the kids was hurt and needed one, it was the kind with a pocket. This one, though, is just a strap that winds around.

We have to get him an appointment with an Orthopedic doctor. I’ll call early tomorrow morning, and I’m praying they’ll get him in tomorrow.

Last year, Jesse and Isaac were hurt in PE class and both of them ended up in the emergency room. And we’ve had other trips to the ER, too.

5 years ago in October, Jesse fell from a monkey bar set at school and broke his collarbone. He obviously doesn’t do well with heights!

And so it begins for this flexible benefits spending year. I’m very thankful he didn’t fall on his head and get a concussion. Would have anyone even seen him? Would we have even found him? We had no clue he was walking that direction.

I’m very grateful that we have a Father who was watching out for my baby last night.

Who would have thought a few small sample packets of sunscreen could cause so many problems?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment