READING CAN MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL

Reading can enhance your life. Studies show that the most successful people are the ones who read. We can learn a lot by picking up a magazine, a book, or a newspaper. I think it's great to be able to talk to others about what you read, too. Reading promotes conversation, intelligence, and knowledge. So, what are you waiting for?

I think everyone has a story to tell, and we should. For many years, I got away from writing fiction, but I have had a great time writing my first novel as an adult. Changing real-life situations into fiction helps heal the heart.

What can I say about Life? Mine has been tough at times, but I'm grateful that God has given me mercy, grace, and love. I love my life and the family I've been blessed with.

Sunday, October 6, 2013

I'm Proud of You



I am proud of you!

As children, we all long for those words to be spoken to us by our parents, family, friends, and teachers. The words fill us with such joy and empowerment, and even as we get older, we don’t ever lose that desire for affirmation.

Well, the tables were turned this week in my family of origin.

My father is now the President of a community bank in a small town. He has been working on the grand opening celebration, along with his colleagues, for at least a year. Friday was the big day.

It never occurred to me that I might be able to attend. Before I had a job, we didn’t really have the money for me to travel to see my parents as much as I would sometimes like to. And honestly, I’ve already been there twice this year, and they’ve been here to see us once. But Wednesday, I had this overwhelming sense that I just needed to be there. So, I submitted my request for a day off, and it was approved. (And my husband actually agreed to let me drive the new family vehicle, even though it probably would have been easier for him if I would have left it home.)

My brother’s wife and kids weren’t able to be there, but he came. And my sister was there with her kids (she lives in the same town), but my brother-in-law had to work. My mom’s best friend was there, too.

We had been waiting for this day. And I knew it was going to be something remarkable.

My dad is past retirement-age, but he is still working hard. This job he has now is probably the best he’s had in his entire working career. He has a company who cares for him and values him as not only a bank employee, but as a person. And, in my own humble opinion, I think that is very rare in these days where employee loyalty and hard work can be snuffed out due to greed and the downward spiral of the economy (at times). It’s not like it used to be where you could stay with a company your whole career, and you would be rewarded and feel appreciated.

But this bank is different. And it shows in the face a man who has worked hard since he was 16 years old to get where he is today. He’s never had anything handed to him and has worked hard for his successes.

When we arrived at the bank that morning, he had probably already been there for a couple of hours making preparations and encouraging his fantastic team of employees. And I must say - they are an elite group from all walks of life. He has chosen them well.

 


 

Anyway, the congressman who was supposed to be there was in DC instead because of the breakdown in the government negotiations. Someone from his office did attend and speak, though. 


And, something I didn’t know… The state of Kansas will fly flags at the Capital building in Topeka and then sell them to those who are interested in flying flags flown there. So, the bank bought one.   

When the motorcycles began roaring down Main Street, their own flags flying from their cycles, the excitement continued to build for those 150+ people who were standing in the bank parking lot. 


The man stepped off the cycle with the flag and walked it over to the three servicemen who were waiting to receive it. 

 


 
They saluted the flag and each other. 


 

Then, they took the flag to the flagpole and raised it up. 

 


 

A lady was singing The Star-Spangled Banner.

And it was a spectacular magnificent sight to see.

My dad’s face was lit up, and it was so obvious how happy he was. 

 


I was fortunate in getting the opportunity, while were standing in the lobby of the bank later, to tell him just how proud I am of him. I think he might have been surprised that I said it, but I could tell he liked that I did.

We had a good time there that day, and so did the people who came. Some of them pulled over to the side of the road to watch, and some were just walking down the street and stopped to join us.

We took pictures of the ceremony and of our family. It’s been a long time since we had a picture of the five original family members of the Ray family.

 

That afternoon, after the bank festivities were over, and the food was packed up, and the spectators had gone home, my dad sat with his group of employees, and they talked about the day and how wonderful it was.

I was fortunate in getting to spend the whole afternoon with my sister and brother… just the three of us. And it was fantastic! It is something I will always remember.

 

We had a good time the rest of the day, and I got up on Saturday morning and drove back to Texas. I ran into a storm close to home, but what it left behind was beyond extraordinary. 

 

I have thought about my time there many times since I left… and how proud I am of the man I call Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment