READING CAN MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL

Reading can enhance your life. Studies show that the most successful people are the ones who read. We can learn a lot by picking up a magazine, a book, or a newspaper. I think it's great to be able to talk to others about what you read, too. Reading promotes conversation, intelligence, and knowledge. So, what are you waiting for?

I think everyone has a story to tell, and we should. For many years, I got away from writing fiction, but I have had a great time writing my first novel as an adult. Changing real-life situations into fiction helps heal the heart.

What can I say about Life? Mine has been tough at times, but I'm grateful that God has given me mercy, grace, and love. I love my life and the family I've been blessed with.

Friday, October 11, 2013

"8 Things No Kid Should Leave Home Without" - A Great Book by Joe McGee



I’m always curious to read books about parenting… for obvious reasons.

And I do love a good bargain.

So, when I was shopping at Mardel’s a few months ago, I found a book on the clearance shelf by someone I’d never heard of, Joe McGee. And I bought it. It’s called 8 Things No Kid Should Leave Home Without.

Having kids who are growing up too fast, I was intrigued by what this book would tell me. And let me say that it didn’t disappoint.

The blurb about Joe McGee on the back cover told of his expertise in parenting, as he has 6 children of his own, is a former school administrator, and has been married to the same woman for 36 years. He’s got the authority I’m looking for.

These are common sense things for parents who want to equip their children for adult life. As a mom, I have tried to instill these things in my kids… all except one. One of the 8 things is (drum roll please) “A Love of Math.”

What?

I mean, come on! Some people are good with math, and some aren’t. While I won’t say that I’m a math genius, because that would be a big lie, I do enjoy math. I’ll admit that I like balancing a checkbook, coming up with a budget (though it doesn’t usually work completely), and figuring (and announcing) the total amount of a grocery shopping trip before the register computes it.

I am usually within one dollar.

I don’t say that to brag on my abilities, but it’s something I’m good at. I, however, am not great with Algebra or figuring out story problems.

The good thing is I have kids (several of them) who are acing their math classes. In fact, Jonah has a 92 in Pre-Calculus. That is seriously a miracle because he comes from a mom who loves reading and writing and a dad who is a theatre teacher. We usually laugh when talking about our math abilities.

Isn’t that awesome, though?

Joe gives some good reasons why we should instill a love of math, and I wish I would have thought about it 18 years ago. There’s no time like the present!

I’m not going to give the contents of the book away, but I would strongly suggest reading it and maybe putting some of these suggestions into practice.

The time with our kids goes so fast, and I can’t believe mine are almost grown.

I hope they look back at us, their mom and dad, and see that we did the best we could as parents. We may not have a lot of money or material things that some people see as important. But we are grateful for the blessings God has given us, and I want to be able to say that I lived my life with an attitude of thankfulness.

Teaching our kids how to be productive and responsible members of society is our responsibility.

Putting those things into practice is up to them.



No comments:

Post a Comment