READING CAN MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL

Reading can enhance your life. Studies show that the most successful people are the ones who read. We can learn a lot by picking up a magazine, a book, or a newspaper. I think it's great to be able to talk to others about what you read, too. Reading promotes conversation, intelligence, and knowledge. So, what are you waiting for?

I think everyone has a story to tell, and we should. For many years, I got away from writing fiction, but I have had a great time writing my first novel as an adult. Changing real-life situations into fiction helps heal the heart.

What can I say about Life? Mine has been tough at times, but I'm grateful that God has given me mercy, grace, and love. I love my life and the family I've been blessed with.

Monday, December 23, 2013

Redemption and "Saving Mr. Banks"



Redemption = to free from what distresses or harms (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/redeem).

We went to see “Saving Mr. Banks” yesterday, and the one word I left with was just that. Redemption.

I’m not going to give away any of the story, but I will say it was intense and moving. There is no family unit that is perfect, but our birth family is the place from where all of us begin.

Our family of origin.

It’s the place you can’t choose, as it’s already been chosen for you.

It’s the place from which your memories will start and flow.

I have to admit that, while it would be great to have all of my memories from my family of origin be wonderful, they all are not.

Like, for instance, when my dog died, and I thought I would, too.

Or, when my first boyfriend broke up with me during Christmas break when I was 14. I just knew I was going to marry him! I felt like no one understood my pain, not even my family.

Or, when my parents made me break up with my boyfriend/finance, when I was 17, because he his step-dad said he was doing drugs. And I didn’t speak to my parents, unless I absolutely had to… for weeks. I didn’t forgive them for months.

But, through the years, better memories that have overshadowed the bad ones.

For instance, when my dad took me to dinner and shopping to get some new shoes for work because he knew I didn’t have any money.

Or, when they were there helping me pack and move out the day I left my abusive first husband.

Or, the days they were there for the births of my sons, their grandchildren.

If you dwell on the hurt and shortcomings and failures of others and the impact it has on your life, you will be filled with sadness and grief, maybe remorse and shame. But if you forgive, you are free to move forward towards redemption.

Personally, I’m grateful that Jesus redeemed me from the life that I thought I deserved. I’ve made some regretful decisions, and I have been at the place where I felt that I lost everything… that I had no hope left at all. But I know have been given more than I ever lost.

Redemption.

Forgiveness.

Hope.



No comments:

Post a Comment