READING CAN MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL

Reading can enhance your life. Studies show that the most successful people are the ones who read. We can learn a lot by picking up a magazine, a book, or a newspaper. I think it's great to be able to talk to others about what you read, too. Reading promotes conversation, intelligence, and knowledge. So, what are you waiting for?

I think everyone has a story to tell, and we should. For many years, I got away from writing fiction, but I have had a great time writing my first novel as an adult. Changing real-life situations into fiction helps heal the heart.

What can I say about Life? Mine has been tough at times, but I'm grateful that God has given me mercy, grace, and love. I love my life and the family I've been blessed with.

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Warning: Read at your Own Risk (It's about Jesus)



“God sent His Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through Him.” (John 3:17)

I read an exchange this morning between a friend who doesn’t believe in God and her relative who says he does. Unfortunately, he indicated he would rather stand up for the case of Christ than show love towards her.

That is in total opposition of what Jesus taught.

An oxymoron.

In an effort to be passionate in what he believed, he offended many who read the post. And, in fact, he hurt his relative by what he said. The fact is he hurt me, too, by what he said.

I’ve been sitting here for a couple of hours trying to articulate what I’m feeling, but I keep coming up empty.

But here’s what I do know.

I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and was at the beginning of time. After sin entered the world, and He knew it would happen before it did, Jesus came into the world to live as we do, but he did not sin during his 33 years on the earth. And while He was here, he hung out with those who weren’t perfect, the ones who were sick and needed healing… the ones who needed a touch from the only one who could take away the pain.

The only people Jesus really got angry with were the Pharisees and hypocrites.

He didn’t get angry with those who were sinning… or hurting… or dying. It was for those very people he came for.

In Luke 5, Jesus was teaching, and the crowd was great. A paralyzed man was carried by his friends to see Jesus, so the man could be healed. When they couldn’t get to him through the crowd, they took their friend up to the roof and actually took off some tiles to lower their friend through. Can you imagine the person whose building that was? I’m sure he was upset! But this man is lowered down from the ceiling on a mat and lands right in front of Jesus. And Jesus says, “Young man, your sins are forgiven.” He forgave his sins because of the faith of his friends. (Luke 5:18-20)

What about the woman at the well? The Samaritan woman. Jesus knew her life’s story, yet he didn’t accuse. He simply stated the truth. He, Jesus, the Light of the World, didn’t tell her how she was a dirty, rotten sinner. He offered her acceptance, truth and love. (John 4)

And what about the woman caught in adultery? She was going to be stoned! And Jesus Christ, son of God, stooped down and wrote something in the sand. I wish I knew what it was! Anyway, he told the crowd that whoever is without sin should cast the first stone. The crowd, realizing they were also guilty of something, dropped their rocks and left. When everyone was gone, Jesus asked the woman where her accusers were and if any of them condemned her. When she said no, He said this… “Neither do I. Go and sin no more.” John 8

This is the Jesus of the Bible. This is the Jesus I’ve come to know. For even though He could have told her lots of things, accused her of the sin she was obviously committing, stoned her Himself, because he wasn’t guilty of anything, He did not.

For you see, without love, truth is not appreciated or even recognized.

You can bang your head against the wall of truth, but if you don’t have love, nothing is gained.

“If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing. Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. Prophecy and speaking in unknown languages and special knowledge will become useless. But love will last forever! Now our knowledge is partial and incomplete, and even the gift of prophecy reveals only part of the whole picture! But when the time of perfection comes, these partial things will become useless. When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.

Three things will last forever—faith, hope, and love—and the greatest of these is love.”

(1 Corinthians 13)

Yes, we want the world to know Jesus the way we do, but I wonder if some people who call themselves Christians actually know the same Jesus I do. The Jesus I know would never push Himself on others. The Jesus I know told me (and you) to love God and love people. He said, “The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22:37-40)

Loving people doesn’t mean accepting their sin. Loving people means we accept THEM, as people. We are called to this by the very One we claim to represent. We aren’t going to show Jesus to people if we harass and accuse them. We have to love them, get to know them, and live our lives as close to our example as possible.

And if we aren’t doing that, we are failing.

No comments:

Post a Comment