READING CAN MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL

Reading can enhance your life. Studies show that the most successful people are the ones who read. We can learn a lot by picking up a magazine, a book, or a newspaper. I think it's great to be able to talk to others about what you read, too. Reading promotes conversation, intelligence, and knowledge. So, what are you waiting for?

I think everyone has a story to tell, and we should. For many years, I got away from writing fiction, but I have had a great time writing my first novel as an adult. Changing real-life situations into fiction helps heal the heart.

What can I say about Life? Mine has been tough at times, but I'm grateful that God has given me mercy, grace, and love. I love my life and the family I've been blessed with.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

This is Not Goodbye



We never doubted their love for us, even though we weren’t their blood family.

When we first moved to Missouri, we couldn’t find a church home for a year. That’s a long time to be without friends. But when we finally did find that church, and met Bill and Barb, they adopted us into their family.

They even asked us to spend Easter at their house with their family. The fact we had three little boys didn’t bother them at all because, you see, Bill and Barb had raised five children of their own. They weren’t afraid of having us at their house, even though we all know that little kids bring their own “excitement.”

And when we found out we were pregnant with twins, they were right there. I mean, how many people actually have 5 kids, right? It's crazy!

The years that their kids spent the holidays with their in-laws, and Bill and Barb were alone, they came to our house. In fact, in 1999, we had invited my parents and Bill and Barb for Thanksgiving. Since I had not been feeling well (being pregnant), my house was not as “dusted” as some people believe it should have been. As we were eating our Thanksgiving feast, I remember watching a piece of dust from the ceiling fan fall slowly to the table. I looked at Barb, and we had a good laugh.

When their vehicle was no longer usable, and they needed something to drive, we were able to give them our 1991 Toyota Tercel. That poor car had seen better days, but it still ran. And we had been praying for an opportunity to bless someone with it. When Bill’s truck needed replacing, we called them, gave them the keys and the title.

It was so wonderful to be able to be on that end of the giving/receiving that time. Then, they turned it around on us.

They came over one day, and Bill gave us $400. He had made repairs on the car, and then he sold it. What he had made in excess of his expenses, he passed on to us. What a blessing!

We moved away from Missouri in 2006, but our love for their family has never waned. And I know their love for us never has, either. When Jim and I visited MO in 2009, we went to see Barb. She had broken her arm (I believe), and she looked so frail that day. But we sat and talked and laughed and cried together. It was tough to say goodbye.

Jim and I always joked around how we both needed moms in Missouri, so Barb was his “mom,” and another friend, Judy, was mine. That way, we both had them both.

Bill was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and had to live in a care facility for the last few years. And Barb went to live with her oldest son.

My kids have always called them Grandma Barb and Grandpa Bill. A couple of summers ago, Jonah went to stay with his friend in Missouri. One day, Bill and Barb’s son, Chris, picked Jonah up and took him to see Bill at the care facility. We were all very thankful for the time Jonah was able to spend with them.

Hospice was recently called, and the family went to see Bill for what would be the last time on this earth last night. He was ushered into his eternal home by the One who loved him all along.

We are too far away to attend the Celebration of Life that will take place this week for Grandpa Bill, but I want his family to know just how special we know he was. He smiled, he laughed, and he hugged us every time he saw us.

We will miss Bill here, but the good thing about knowing Jesus is we have hope we will see each other again. And there won’t be any sickness or crying or pain. Bill is now whole and well. I wouldn’t even be surprised if he was sitting around talking and laughing with my Grandma, Jim’s dad, and my Uncle Rick.

We never know when our last day on earth will be, and this is just a good reminder to live each day to the fullest, loving our family and friends.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment