READING CAN MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL

Reading can enhance your life. Studies show that the most successful people are the ones who read. We can learn a lot by picking up a magazine, a book, or a newspaper. I think it's great to be able to talk to others about what you read, too. Reading promotes conversation, intelligence, and knowledge. So, what are you waiting for?

I think everyone has a story to tell, and we should. For many years, I got away from writing fiction, but I have had a great time writing my first novel as an adult. Changing real-life situations into fiction helps heal the heart.

What can I say about Life? Mine has been tough at times, but I'm grateful that God has given me mercy, grace, and love. I love my life and the family I've been blessed with.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Do You Really Know Me?



“Do you know me, Bert? Do you really know me?” (George Bailey)

This is one of my favorite lines from It’s a Wonderful Life. I think we all long for people to really KNOW us.

I’m not saying this to get sympathy from anyone, but here’s the deal.

I’m lonely a lot of the times, and I wish I had some girlfriends to hang out with.

I have friends that I’ve known for a long time, and we would be there in a heartbeat for each other. I have friends I go to Bible study with. However, I don’t have anyone who calls me regularly, just to say hello, to go out to dinner, who invites my family over for a meal. And I have to say that I think it’s really sad. Are people just too busy?

It’s been 7 years since we left Missouri, and I miss my friends. One time, I won some tickets to see Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I invited some friends, we arrived late and had to sit in the very first rows. While that was physically uncomfortable, it was so much fun. Afterwards, we went out for dinner.

And there was the time my friend, Laura, and I went to see 13 Going on 30 together. We laughed… we cried.  And it was wonderful.

In AR, we had some really good friends, and he was also our pastor. They immediately showed us love, and we became very close in the three years we were there. We even had the same anniversary date, same day and year! So we celebrated a lot together. Anniversaries, birthdays, holidays... We miss them terribly. The great thing is when we do see each other, it's like no time ever passed. We'd really like to find friends like that here!

Our quest for finding a church is ongoing, but I think we’ve found a church close to home that we’ll keep attending. Our 17 year-old son even likes it, which I think is a win. I’m really hoping, as I’ve mentioned before, that we find some friends there. So far, the pastors know our names, and that’s about it. But, we’ve only been three times.

Will you do me a big favor? I am going to ask something important of you.

After you read this post, think about it, pray about it, do whatever, but call a friend. Ask how her/his day was. Ask him/her over for dinner, out to a movie, something to show you care.

I’m sure there are lots of people in the world who feel like I do. And YOU can do something about it.

So get out there! Do something worth doing. Show some love to a friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment