READING CAN MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL

Reading can enhance your life. Studies show that the most successful people are the ones who read. We can learn a lot by picking up a magazine, a book, or a newspaper. I think it's great to be able to talk to others about what you read, too. Reading promotes conversation, intelligence, and knowledge. So, what are you waiting for?

I think everyone has a story to tell, and we should. For many years, I got away from writing fiction, but I have had a great time writing my first novel as an adult. Changing real-life situations into fiction helps heal the heart.

What can I say about Life? Mine has been tough at times, but I'm grateful that God has given me mercy, grace, and love. I love my life and the family I've been blessed with.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Glimpse of Splendor



I was listening to KLOVE radio recently, and had the strangest sensation… I heard the song, “Show Me Your Glory,” by Third Day, and I was transported back to a wintry day in Arkansas.

I was working 45 miles away from home, and a big snowstorm was coming in. I watched the weather for several hours, and my boss finally let me go home so I wouldn’t be stuck. Just as soon as I got into my car, the snow began falling harder. They were big, beautiful flakes that, if I would have been at home, I would have appreciated.

I had the radio blaring as I was praying loudly, “Please God, be with me! Please keep me safe!”

As I was driving through the twists and turns of Highway 65 out of Conway, the snow was beginning to stick to the road. Faced with the decision of going the way I normally do, through Greenbrier, Guy, and Quitman, I opted to go “the other” road. My normal road would place me at the top of Pryor Mountain, and I knew the road down would be treacherous.

So, going straight on 65 instead of turning on 25, I faced a large downward hill. I slowed down as much as I could, but I was still praying and scared. When I got through Damascus and turned at Bee Branch, I was relieved, but I knew I wasn’t there yet.

And then it happened.

“I caught a glimpse of Your splendor in the corner of my eye, the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen, and it was like a flash of lightning reflected off the sky, and I know I’ll never be the same.” (Third Day)

It wasn’t a physical glimpse, but a spiritual one. It happened when God let me know He heard me. It was Him watching me as I drove through those mountain roads covered in snow and keeping me safe.

“I can feel your presence here with me, suddenly I’m lost within your beauty, caught up in the wonder of Your touch, here in this moment, I surrender to your love.” (Mercy Me – “Here With Me.”)

The song came on at the perfect time in the perfect circumstance.

That’s what I think seeing God’s splendor is. Sometimes it’s revealed in a physical sense, and other times, it’s like a “flash of lightning” in your soul.

Somehow I arrived at home that day with no problems, and I was so thankful. In fact, I was stuck there for the next couple of days while the snow melted away. Grateful isn’t even the right word I felt for my boss who cared enough about me and my family that he didn’t make me come in when the weather was dangerous.

I haven’t forgotten this situation. I could tell you it was rare, and it hasn’t happened since, but that wouldn’t be true. I have seen God’s splendor in my life more times than I can count. It may not always appear obvious as a flash of lightning, but there is something so real about it.

If you haven’t seen this experience in your life, I am here to tell you that you can.

It IS beautiful, and you will never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment