READING CAN MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL

Reading can enhance your life. Studies show that the most successful people are the ones who read. We can learn a lot by picking up a magazine, a book, or a newspaper. I think it's great to be able to talk to others about what you read, too. Reading promotes conversation, intelligence, and knowledge. So, what are you waiting for?

I think everyone has a story to tell, and we should. For many years, I got away from writing fiction, but I have had a great time writing my first novel as an adult. Changing real-life situations into fiction helps heal the heart.

What can I say about Life? Mine has been tough at times, but I'm grateful that God has given me mercy, grace, and love. I love my life and the family I've been blessed with.

Friday, June 28, 2013

"Life Code" by Dr. Phil McGraw



It’s been a while since I’ve written a book review, so I decided to write about one of the best books I’ve read lately. It’s called Life Code, and it’s written by Dr. Phil.

Now, we know that he can sometimes be a controversial figure, but I like him.

I was watching TV one day this winter, and he had a couple on the show who were involved with domestic violence. As you might know, I am a survivor of domestic violence, so I am very curious about anything that addresses the subject. Dr. Phil has really put himself out there to help those victims, and even the perpetrators, and I think it’s great.

Anyway, I’m not sure if that was the first time I heard him talk about his new book, Life Code, but I made up my mind I was going to buy it when I could.

And I did.

It’s an awesome book… one I wish I would have had as a young adult. In the first part, he writes about “The Real-World ‘Bad Guys,’” and gives practical ways to see who they are. He calls them “BAITER’s.” Regrettably, I have known some of these people in my life, even let them hurt me severely, and I’m sure you have known some, too. He tackles “The Nefarious 15,” and after reading their characteristics, well, just wow. I think if you aren’t sure whether someone fits into the category of being a Baiter, and you read this, you will definitely know.

The second part addresses how you can win “in the Real World.” He gives advice, counsel, wisdom… whatever you might call it, to succeed in your life. There is even a chapter on parenting, which I definitely appreciated, too.

“Again, I’m not telling you how the world should work, I’m telling you how the world does work.” (p.172)

We are used to “Dr. Philism’s,” as we call them, but really, he does know what he’s talking about.

If you’re young, old, man, woman, whoever you are, this book will be of great value to you if you are willing to look at things with the lens of truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment