READING CAN MAKE YOU SUCCESSFUL

Reading can enhance your life. Studies show that the most successful people are the ones who read. We can learn a lot by picking up a magazine, a book, or a newspaper. I think it's great to be able to talk to others about what you read, too. Reading promotes conversation, intelligence, and knowledge. So, what are you waiting for?

I think everyone has a story to tell, and we should. For many years, I got away from writing fiction, but I have had a great time writing my first novel as an adult. Changing real-life situations into fiction helps heal the heart.

What can I say about Life? Mine has been tough at times, but I'm grateful that God has given me mercy, grace, and love. I love my life and the family I've been blessed with.

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Summer and a Clean Kitchen



I have five sons, and they were all born within a 5 year period. You’re probably thinking to yourself, “Is she nuts?” Er, I refuse to answer that question. :-)

Well, when they were young, like 5, 4, 2, and 2 babies, things were wildly busy. We had a schedule, though, and somehow, I had a clean house almost all the time. They got up at 6am, but they went to bed at 7pm. That’s when I folded all of the laundry and cleaned the kitchen. I usually took a nap when they did in the afternoon, too, which I think protected my sanity.

Now that they are 18, 17, 15, and 2-13 year-olds, things aren’t so “programmed.”

I have taught them how to do most every household chore there is. And having a large family, we all work together to accomplish what needs to be done. I’m not saying it’s easy to get them to do those things, but most times, they do a great job.

I know there are some parents who don't ask their children to help out with chores around the house, and that is up to them. However, I believe I would have crippled my boys if they didn't grow up knowing the work it takes to live in the real world. There isn't always going to be someone there to cook and clean up after them... or do their laundry! Isaac even knows how to sew after taking Family & Consumer Science in school. I think learning the processes can only help them in their lives.

I’ve heard it said that we aren’t raising children; we’re raising adults. That used to bother me greatly, and I can’t even tell you why. But I understand it now.

This summer, I wrote a list of everything that is done on a normal basis around the house. Interestingly, there were 5 major things: cleaning their bathroom, picking up the living room, sweeping the floors, cleaning the kitchen, and taking care of the dogs. Then, I scheduled an “activity” for each day for each of them, and I hung these lists inside the pantry door. For fun, I even gave everyone their own color. Fortunately, the “taking care of the dogs” has been in effect for quite some time, so I built everything else around that.

This is what I’ve found: No one has complained. No one has shirked their responsibilities. All of them have done very well with what they were doing.

Is it because they know what’s expected of them each day? Is it because they don’t feel the need to argue about it with their brothers because it’s written down?

I don’t really know. But I can tell you that it’s working. And I’m really glad. (And yes, I do know it’s only been a week!)

The only days that no one is scheduled for working is weekends. Then, we have weekly duties that we are all going to work together to complete. No one has said a harsh word about it yet! My husband even unloaded and loaded the dishwasher this morning! I didn’t have to ask anyone to do it, or even do it myself.

So, even though they are older, maybe there is still something to living life on a schedule. Maybe it teaches discipline and order and responsibility.

I don’t know, but I’m not complaining! And neither are they, which makes life in the summer a little more relaxed.

No comments:

Post a Comment